"Love And Rockets" (Fantagraphics, U.S. Graphic Novels)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Love And Rockets" (Fantagraphics, U.S. Graphic Novels)

Postby pkristen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 am

Originally posted on my blog: Thursday 8 September 2011

Summary
Launched in 1981, this ground breaking comic series that is still being produced by the originally Southern Californian Los Bros Hernandez.
Published as “anthologies” of small and large stories, random and connected, there are two main story universes worth noting:
By Gilbert: The Palomar / Heartbreak Soup Series, which focuses on the stories of a small Mexican village with ties to the U.S.
By Jaime: Los Locas, which focuses on a group of punk rock girls as they grow up (and maybe reluctantly mature) due to the experiences of life.

Now both story universes are not necessary “gay” as much as there are several prominent male and female characters worth noting in the rich, almost soap-webbed cast of characters.

My Thoughts (with potential spoilers!)
I had attended a panel about LGBT comic books at Wonder Con earlier this year and was dismayed that this series wasn’t mentioned by any of the (younger than me) panelists as recommended reading for like-minded fans.

Now, I admit I am completely biased, having developed an almost yearly ritual of saying “hello” to Los Bros at Comic-Con every year. But that doesn’t deny the fact that this series is considered one of the most critical works for launching the independent comic book movement in the U.S. during the 1980’s for quality storytelling combined with rich artwork.

And yes, I’m a Locas Fan Grrl! Especially for Terry!!!
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels