"Superman, The Animated Series" (DC/Warner)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Superman, The Animated Series" (DC/Warner)

Postby pkristen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:12 am

Summary: A slick reinvention of Superman in the Bruce Timm style (the same creator behind the "Batman The Animated Series").

Review: Thanks to being home sick, I decided to pop in the complete collection into my DVD player. I had watched some episodes when it first aired on t.v. but not regularly enough to know all of the characters that were transferred over from the Superman/DC universe.

Thanks to internet searches, I had heard that my personal fav lesbian cop Maggie Sawyer has a recurring role so all the more to check the series out in its sequential and uninterrupted glory.

I'm only through the first set of episodes, but Maggie definitely makes a worthwhile appearance (in "Tools Of The Trade") and I'm pleased to see her appear in substantial supporting roles in other episodes.

Plus, in the commentary track, the creative staff admits that she's a lesbian in the comics and wanted to preserve as much of that as possible in the series with equal treatment by showing her partner Toby. (Haven't got to that episode but looking forward to it.)
pkristen

Re: "Superman, The Animated Series" (DC/Warner)

Postby pkristen » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 am

So I just watched the two part "Apokolips... Now!" episodes where Toby Raynes, Maggie's partner is introduced and I have to say that I really liked how it was done:

Maggie is injured in battle early in the episodes and is shown in the hospital with Toby at her bedside holding her hand and fussing over her in full spousal capacity. Even though Toby's name is never revealed in dialogue, nor is she explained, it feels totally natural that she's there. (You can argue whether or not network censors may be involved.) Plus, they act like a couple, and Toby is given full name reference in the credits: so kudos to the team for something well executed!
pkristen

Re: "Superman, The Animated Series" (DC/Warner)

Postby pkristen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:16 am

I finished the entire set of the original series and enjoyed it enough that I rented the produced several years later sequel "Brainiac Attacks." BIG mistake!

It's as if the new creative team didn't feel like they needed to watch the original series to produce this one. Goofing up big and little bits of continuity is bad enough, but when Lex is the comic relief in this show, you know that it's a badly guided attempt to milk the franchise. Too bad I can't scrub it from my brain.

The best thing is that Maggie does not appear anywhere in this show.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels