"Sandman" (DC/Vertigo, US Comic)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Sandman" (DC/Vertigo, US Comic)

Postby pkristen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:42 am

Summary:
Original flagship series of the DC Comics Vertigo line, which was a series of comic books aimed at more mature (as in sophisticated) audiences. Primarily focused around the Endless, the family of beings who embody the different aspects of human existence: Dream, Death, Desire, etc.

Thoughts:
This is another case of going through my old library and coming across one of the spin-off series for Death called “The Time of Your Life”, which is around the popular lesbian couple of Foxglove and Hazel and one of my favorite stories. And the combination of Creator/Writer Neil Gaiman and Artist Chris Bachalo is a guaranteed winner.

Now, I actually love all of the stories from the Sandman universe written by Gaiman, with some off-shoots by other writers who take a crack at the Endless characters and their universe. The stories do push the boundaries of what had been acceptable comic book subjects but with an intellectual purpose rather than just gratuitous intentions.

The main series has long since concluded but graphic novels are available in reprints. If you want something more cerebral in the comic book form, any of these books are worth checking out.

And Foxglove and Hazel aren’t the only gay characters, male or female.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels