"Secret Six" (DC)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Secret Six" (DC)

Postby pkristen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 am

Summary: The Secret Six is a collection of super villains who live in the the edgy world of mercenaries where violence and chaos are the norm for their methods. However, under the hand of fan-fav writer Gail Simone, they are also individuals who wrestle with friendships, family and where doing the "right thing" has a different standard.

Review: Thanks to re-discovering comics via Comixology, I followed up on references to a lesbian couple that was supposed to be featured prominently in the two versions of this series. And found one of my favorite lesbian couples in comic book-dom in the form of Scandal Savage and Knockout. Sexy, dangerous and completely devoted to each other.

NOTE: If you do check them out, you need to read the 6 issue "Secret Six" first, then a story-arc written by Simone in Birds of Prey featuring a Secret Six cross-over, and then the final "Secret Six" series.

And the stripper with a heart of gold Lianna, is also another lesbian character who is valid in her own right.

Now, unfortunately, since the latest DC reboot of "The New 52", these characters not not yet appeared so it's still up in the air if they exist in the new continuity. Fingers crossed that someone (talented) will bring them back.
pkristen

Re: "Secret Six" (DC)

Postby pkristen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 am

I just read the recently released "DC Universe Presents: Savage" 3 part story focusing on super-villain Vandal Savage and his daughter Kassidy Sage (a.k.a., "Savage"), an FBI profiler. Now in the pre-52 universe, Vandal only focused on Scandal as his true heir daughter, but this story almost reads like Scandal's not in the picture this time around.

Though it could be the difference in the writer, this new story being the brain-child of James Robinson, whose work I usually like and respect.

Of course, that doesn't mean another writer (hint, hint, Simone), can't reintroduce Scandal, though her last name of Savage may have some changes or more explaining in the comic book world.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels