"Life With Archie: The Married Life" (Archie Comics)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Life With Archie: The Married Life" (Archie Comics)

Postby pkristen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:45 am

This is futuristic series that explores what Archie's life would be either if he married either Betty or Veronica.

In concept, this is a very weird Archie series to read because in my mind, you shouldn't need to know too much back story to pick up an Archie issue and enjoy it. But this series is a complete soap opera, and missing an issue can cause some angst.

Now, the series is so popular that they've integrated the gay Kevin Keller by having him meet and marry a man. Interestingly, the same one in either Betty or Veronica future.

While it's great that Archie Comics is willing to show Kevin in a committed relationship, I personally think it will undercut the emotional investment readers will have when Kevin's creator Dan Parent gets around to introducing a regular love interest in the "Kevin Keller" series, which focuses on his high school years. Since Kevin meets his future husband after highschool, it almost sets up a highschool romance for failure if you know he's not going to end up with the guy. (Which I think is why Archie Comics shows Archie's future with either Betty or Veronica, women he's been "involved" with for decades.)
pkristen

Re: "Life With Archie: The Married Life" (Archie Comics)

Postby pkristen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

Spoilers:

The recent issue of "Life with Archie" has a focus on a huge tragedy for Kevin, and you just know it's got to be his hubby.

I admit when I saw that teaser, I was immediately worried that it was going to be some gay-bashing storyline. I'm not saying that it isn't a valid subject but it felt like it could be cliche territory.

I finally read the issues from the wedding to the current one and while there is a hint of a storyline of mild homophobia at least it's not what the cover story was about. (Whew!)

My curiousity may drive me to read what is going to happen next more than true fan enthusiasm - like where they are going to take the characters from this plot event and if it's going to be interesting. I guess we'll see...
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels