"Bite Club" (Vertigo)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Bite Club" (Vertigo)

Postby pkristen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 am

Summary: The Del Toro's are a Latin-American crime family of vampires when the world openly recognizes vampires and have found uneasy ways of living along side these beings. Sort of like "Tru Blood" but taking place in Miami. The mini-series is collected in a now out-of-print collection called the "The Complete Bite Club".

Review: This series is a brainchild of straight fanboy creative god Howard Chaykin. So as you can imagine, I approach his material with a definite amount of dread because I know I will be spending time in a Man-Cave... a very, very dark and long and windy Man-Cave.

But since this website is also about warning people about questionable LGBT-ish material, I decided to write an entry (and to also get some value for the twenty bucks I spent.)

The only reason I even thought to look at this was because the lead female character Risa Del Toro is listed on the page of "Homosexual Characters" on the DC Wiki site -- a listing that definitely has pros and cons. When you read the series, you're supposed to think she's sooo sexy, amoral and violent and it means she's sooo cool!!! (I am rolling my eyes then and now.)

I started to read the book, but it quickly bored me with its over-indulgence of sex and violence that's supposed to be boundary pushing. So I finally just skimmed through the rest of the book and can firmly attest that Risa has a significant "relationship" with another woman. If you're still intrigued (and it's just the type of material you like), I am not going to bother to add more spoilers -- it would mean I'd have to actually read the book.

But as a final note, unsurprisingly, it's the kind of straight fanboy material where sex between women is considered totally hot while insulting men for homosexual behavior is the expected thing. That's all I think I need to say.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels