"Kyle's Bed & Breakfast" (US Comic Strip)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Kyle's Bed & Breakfast" (US Comic Strip)

Postby pkristen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 am

by Greg Fox (www.kylecomics.com)

Summary:
An ongoing strip that focuses on the residents and visitors of a gay owned and operated B&B located in the Long Island, NY area.

Review:
I admit I only decided to check out this strip because I had attended Bent Con 2012 and was asked to do some networking with the strip creator Greg Fox on behalf the magazine that I work for, "Blade California". In the magazine's previous incarnation of "The Orange County Blade Magazine", this strip appeared while I had been writing my "Active Voice" column the first time around. So while Greg and I chit-chatted (a really sweet guy, btw), I had to admit the artwork samples of the strip piqued my curiousity. So I decided to give it a try with also the intention of writing a review.

Now that I've read the first volume of the strip collection, I have to admit I'm very impressed. While it doesn't shy away from beefy guy eye-candy, a lot of the action is dialogue driven and the stories cover a range of serious issues and interests to suburban gay men. It's definitely a soap opera but with good intentions and intelligence behind it.

Having admitted that I do respect it, I am also a lesbian who's not that interested in a strip focused on beefy, suburban gay men and their issues. It's a turn-off or insulting to women by any means; it's just that I've frankly lost interest to continue to read the strip because I actually have a lot of lesbian/women-centric material to go through. If I had a ton of free time, I would be passionate about reading it and keeping up to date but frankly it's a case of priorities with limited time vs. too many interests fighting for my brain space.

BUT, if you're into beefy, intelligent suburban gay men, I highly give this a thumbs up for you. :)
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels