"Earth 2" (DC)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Earth 2" (DC)

Postby pkristen » Sun May 05, 2013 3:55 am

Summary: In the DC New 52 Universe, the "Earth 2" has come back both as a valid alternative earth as well as its own TV series. The comic series goes the reinvention route, taking familiar characters from the classic Earth 2 lore and presenting them with a new spin.

Review: While I admit my interest in "Earth 2" was initially sparked by the news of an openly gay Green Lantern, I admit I'm a classic Earth 2 fan. However, in the New 52 universe, my fav characters of Huntress (as daughter of Batman) and Power Girl are in their own book, my primary pull of this comic series is seeing how the gay GL will be portayed.

Now, (spoiler) I wasn't one of those people who were detered by the murder of Alan Scott's boyfriend/would be fiance, Sam. As a writer, I considered it a valid starting point for a series and as long as Alan doesn't immediately forget Sam or flip to women. I attended last year's San Diego Comic-con where the series writer James Robinson talked about wanting to explore Alan's grief over Sam and I was interested in seeing that play out.

However, now that the series is starting to get into the groove of a year's worth of issues, I admit I'm losing interest just because I'm not really feeling an emotional pull for all of the characters because they're just different versions of standard comic stock. There isn't a unique pull for a lesbian feminist like me.

This is not to say I'll give up buying the series. I certainly will as long as Alan Scott is featured and is gay to show support.

But I don't see myself reading each issue as it comes out in anticipation. If anything, I see myself taking the graphic novel route of waiting for a set to be produced and skim-read to keep up to date.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels