"Fairest" (DC/Vertigo)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"Fairest" (DC/Vertigo)

Postby pkristen » Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 am

Summary: A spin-off of the Vertigo classic series "Fables" that seems to focus on the various women connected to the fairy tales of this universe. This spin-off has gorgeous art and the expected sophisticated story-telling for this franchise.

Review: I completely admit that the cover of two hot, near-naked women sensually pressed against each other got my attention enough to finally check out a "Fables"-related story after all.

Now, I've tried in the past to check out "Fables" when I was in a lull of wanting something new to drive my fan flames. However, I just couldn't get myself to settle down in a quiet moment to read an issue.

And so "Fairest" came along. I did try flipping through the first couple of issues, and since it seemed to be focused on an handsome prince, I definitely lost interest.

So then came the storyline featuring Rapunzel and her time in ancient and modern Tokyo (issues 8 - 13). And being a former Japan-phile, this was definitely up to my alley. Also, as expected, it was sprinkled with a lot of references and tie-ins to the regular "Fables" series.

While I liked the story intellectually, it didn't do anything for me emotionally. As a lesbian, I felt like it was "okay" in terms of being a value for the money I spent. But my interest for reading more of "Fairest" or "Fables" just isn't there.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels