"The Authority"/"Stormwatch" (DC)

Western created material

Moderator: pkristen

"The Authority"/"Stormwatch" (DC)

Postby pkristen » Mon May 27, 2013 5:04 am

Summary: The Authority is a team of super-powered individuals who protected Earth in secret, focusing on dangers of an intergalactic or interdimensional level.

Review: The only reason why I originally checked out the first incarnation of this series under "The Authority" was because of the introduction of fan-fav gay couple of Apollo & Midnighter. However, I quickly realized that the general tone of the series was way too 'fanboy' for my tastes. It honestly wasn't until I read this series that I was exposed to the idea that throwing up was a form of emotional expression. I rolled my eyes more than flipped pages with reader's enthusiasm.

But I will admit the character of Jenny Sparks kept my admittedly lesbian fangrrl interests a little longer than if she hadn't been around. Especially with her very brief admission of bisexuality. However, she was then killed off and her replacement of Jenny Quantum was no where near as lesbian-compelling.

When I learned that The Authority team would be featured in the post-52 series of "Stormwatch", I decided to buy and support the series. After thumbing through the first few issues, my enthusiasm waned since it quickly reminded me that the Apollo/Midnighter combo was far more appealing for those who liked overtly muscled men acting uber-butch and dangerous. And since Jenny Sparks wasn't around, there isn't anything to maintain my interest.

However, I AM a fan of writer Peter Milligan and I enjoyed his run on the series. Yet, with his departure, a new writer with a new re-envisioning of the team at issue 19, my interest deflated completely. I don't regret buying the issues that I did, but I don't see myself revisiting the series out of my own interest.
pkristen

Return to Comics & Graphic Novels