"Slayers" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Slayers" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 am

OVA/Movies. Analysis written March 27, 2001; Updated June 17, 2001.

Note: Viewed Nahga-verse released OVA episodes/movies. And one episode of the TV series (which season, I don’t know but it should be familiar to those of you who’ll read the description.)

In General: I don’t view “Slayers” to be a romance oriented work at all, at least not with the episodes I’ve seen. And admittedly, I just can’t get into the TV series mainly because I just don’t like the character Lina so I have no interest in following her exploits. But based on what I have viewed, here’s what I’ve got to say:

Lina Inverse: Feared sorceress who’s known for more selfish motivations, but with humor.

# Yes, she’s got some butch vibes about her, as well as being strong willed and independent. But is she attracted to women? She couldn’t understand why Nahga would ask her along on a spa trip, and she ran the other way when pursued by an aggressive woman in a hysterical scene-ender to “The Slayers” Movie. So I’m thinking not.

# The one TV episode I watched was the one where Lina and her gang come to a town populated only with women, therefore no men were allowed. As a result, the men in her group had to run around in drag, some with better success than others. The running joke through the episode was that many people actually suspected Lina of being a man. I think more to manners and butchness than any display of interest in women though. So, again, I’m thinking not.

Nahga the Serpent: Lina’s rival or sidekick (depending on who you ask), sorceress in her own right and known for revealing curves.

# Apart from the fact that I think she’s a fun character and a personal favorite, I truly like the fact that though she’s got the curves and fashion sense of a bimbo, she doesn’t really act like one.

# There’s only one person I’ve noticed that she actually shows romantic/sexual interest in (that being the woman above in the scene mentioned above.) So at this point, I personally label her as a nonactive lesbian. (Unless of course, she did manage to catch up with Lina after all. Then that would change my assessment about Lina as well.)

Special Comment on 6/17/01: I just got my hands on a laminated card for “Slayers Great” and it’s of our above two in a rather sultry pose together. Add them to the list of marketing to those who like the ideas of “lesbians”.
pkristen

Return to From Japan