"Rin – Daughters of Mnemosyne" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Rin – Daughters of Mnemosyne" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:07 pm

6 Episode OVA. Review written February 12, 2010.

Summary
Rin, kick-ass babe in a suit and glasses, runs a specialized detective agency in Shinjuku with her seemingly under aged partner, Mimi. As the series progress, you find out that not only are they immortal women, but that they are fated to be in the center of events that will affect all of mankind, and I emphasize MANkind.

Review
I bought this series on a leap of faith, based on seeing a brief clip of two babes in a kick-ass fight and woman/woman sex imagery. Boy, do I wish I had rented it first.

Within the first few minutes of the series, I’m thinking this is sooo not for children. A few more minutes and I’m thinking this is sooo for straight men. And given the constant imagery and bits of women in pain and torture, I would safely say straight men who have serious issues with women.

From overly gratuitous violence and sex, it’s clear that the importance is what entertains the straight male viewer with convenient science to move the story along.

And no, don’t think it really has anything to do with Greek mythology. Or any single mythology for that matter. There’s some long pseudo-mythological explanation at the end where my ending response was “Whatever.”

Now, it’s up to you if feel very compelled to check out the series anyway, especially after reading my lesbian analysis. But I would be concerned if I were to encounter anyone who seriously loved this series, especially given its objectified treatment of female characters.

Lesbian Analysis
Immortal Women: There’s a mysterious tree of life that gives off “time fruits”, little mystical bubbles that float around like pollen and can only be seen by these women. If a time fruit passes through a woman she immediately stops aging, which is what happened to Rin and Mimi, and others like them. These woman CAN die, if their time fruits are taken from them. But more often than not, they’ll go through a gruesome resurrection from a very graphic, torturous death.

Now these women who appear in the anime are ones who realize they’re immortal. And interesting enough, they’re really into having sex with each other. (I refuse to call it ‘lesbian’ since it’s just about titillation for guys who like the idea of women together.) I will admit that there is one who is actually pictured in a lesbian club but she’s dressed like a guy with far more mannish behaviors than Rin, who wears the same style suit.

Angels: As the anime admits, “Angels” are names used for appearances only. These beings are the results of men who are affected by time fruits, that turns them into violence obsessed creatures with black wings. Angels and Immortal Women are linked to each other, immediately wanting sex even though the Angels will literally devour the Immortal Woman in the process. As Rin explains, Immortal Women can’t help but be physically attracted to these angels no matter their actual feelings about the individual, instantly becoming helpless as the women become overwhelmed by physical desire.

The feminist in me is thinking “Just great. A convenient way to make rape consensual.” No wonder the Immortal Women prefer to have sex with each other.

Informants: If you’re in a hotel bar and a sexy woman orders a grasshopper drink, it’s a sign that she’s got important information that she’ll trade for sex. Given that the only ones we see using their services are Rin and Mimi, we don’t know if their clientele are only female. But there are strong hints that’s pretty accurate.

But going with the gimmick of marketing to straight men who love the idea of women rolling around in bed together, I don’t recall ever hearing a version of male detectives or spies like James Bond trading for information in exchange for sex with a man.

Apos: The evil mastermind villain of the series. And a hermaphrodite. Yes, the lesbian feminist in me really frowned at that.

Drag Queens for Laughs: Again, the lesbian feminist in me really frowned at these supporting characters. Sigh.

Not worth commenting further on this.

Sayara: Twisted sadistic scientist/inventory who has a few key encounters with Rin but sexually involved with the generic male lead character of the episode. In the last encounter, we find out that for pleasure, a teenage girl can be a suitable companion for her.

Mimi: Frozen in an underage body, Mimi is supposed to be literally wise beyond her years with a large appetite for sex and alcohol. Devoted to Rin as a lifestyle and business companion (though they don’t live together), she’s clearly got an exclusive thing of having sex with women, either for business or pleasure. Except for the occasional Angel comes into the picture.

Rin: The namesake of the (U.S. Release of the) series who is apparently the ideal of what current straight men should find attractive. She’s beautiful, a great fighter, intelligent and can wear a suit or a dress with equal ease. And very sexually flexible, in that she can perform with either gender as needed.

But the trick is who does she really like to have sex with? Mimi is an obvious target by blatant hints and activities. But the story makes sure that you know that the ultimate love of her life is male. Yet, he’s quickly out the picture, in that way that male animals leave their sperm and disappear.

At the end, she’s heading off into the sunset with Mimi by her side.
pkristen

Return to From Japan