"He Is My Master" (Anime/Manga)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"He Is My Master" (Anime/Manga)

Postby pkristen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 pm

13 Episode TV Series & 5 Vol Manga. Originally reviewed March 8, 2010

Summary
Teenage sisters Izumi and Mitsuki have run away from home (with their pet alligator in tow) and stumbled into becoming the maids for incredibly rich, pervy teenage boy, Yoshitaka. An anime and manga series devoted to lots of fan-service and comically-twisted relationships and motivations.

Review
If you accept the fact that there is almost nothing intellectually redeeming about this series, it’s possible to have a very good time with it. I completely admit that it’s not
something that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone without a few caveats for declaration because it’s not for everyone’s taste. And I fully admit that if it wasn’t for a few bright spots, I wouldn’t be that interested in it otherwise.

Both the anime and manga series are released in the U.S., and while the essence of the characters are pretty consistent, there are differences in the storylines, but nothing that I remember being noteworthy for pointing out. I happily own both and consider them a worthwhile addition to my collection.

Lesbian Analysis
Anna: Besides the sisters, Anna makes up the third maid in Yoshitaka’s household due to some unusual circumstances, mainly that she’s madly in love/lust with Izumi. An unfortunate situation that seems unrequited, since Izumi is just frustrated with her intense hatred and (won’t admit it) attraction to Yoshitaka. For me, Anna not only steals every scene that she appears in, but she’s the sole reason to watch this series. And it turns out that it’s very unfortunate that she’s not in every scene. But then, she’s a supporting character so we have to make due.

The nice thing about Anna, is that while she’s very sincere about her professed love and devotion to Izumi, she’s out about it, even getting Izumi’s Mom’s approval and unrepentantly pervy, to hilarious extremes. Not exactly a role model character, but that isn’t her purpose. Just enjoy her for everything she has to offer and try not to be disappointed that she’s not able to offer more since, frankly, the series just isn’t about her.

Seiichiro: Now while Anna becomes the dyke’s heroine, Seiichiro is the one character in the series that makes me shake my head, as with any character whose portrayal as something of a different gender/orientation that is meant for demeaning laughs. Seiichiro is Yoshitaka’s nemesis, equally rich teenage boy who tries to steal the trio set of maids from him. However, Seiichiro is also a cross-dresser, which, though a plus in Mitsuki’s mind, definitely not in mine.
pkristen

Return to From Japan