"Genshiken Second Season" (Manga)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Genshiken Second Season" (Manga)

Postby pkristen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 am

Summary: So the Genshiken story continues, with Chika Ogiue now as the president and trying to get new members in the club to replace the ones who graduated.

Review: The first volume has now been released in the U.S. The first Genshiken arc went from parallels of LGBT closeted experiences and into torturing its audience with over depiction of yaoi (in the anime at least). This new volume kicks off with three new members of the club, two women and a guy who cross-dresses so well that he is accepted as a woman and is perpetually in drag, much to varied reactions with seasoned and new members.

Now, the interesting arc that this character is developing so far is a yaoi-themed interaction with graduate Madarame, loves and draws yaoi and has a (presumably heterosexual) female persona. But he claims he's not gay.

I have no real comment to that other than I still enjoy the series and want to see where the mangaka will take this story-line in future. I just hope my activist angst doesn't get triggered that discolors my enjoyment of the series -- because I actually do like "Genshiken" for a lot of other reasons.
pkristen

Return to From Japan