"Maze" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Maze" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:25 am

2 Episode OVA. Originally reviewed April 23, 2001

Summary
In a magic fantasy world, twentieth-century Maze is granted magical powers to fight enemies as well as “cursed” with turning into a lecherous man at night. She/he roam across the countryside with an odd assortment of sidekicks, all of whom are set on protecting the teenage Princess Mill, who’s quite infatuated with both versions of Maze.

Review
One of those I decided to check out on a hunch, really not having any exposure to it prior (thinking it was more hentai and therefore in my turn-off category.) Since I’m also watching the TV series, I’m not quite sure which version came first. All that’s clear is that they are clearly in alternative universes, as indicated by slight changes in character introductions and dynamics.

Definitely turn your brain off fun. Try to make it more serious than it is, and you’ll miss most of the appeal of the series. I personally think part of its fun is that it knows it’s a satire with a subtle wink at the viewer acknowledgement. You and the characters are along for the ride and it’s up to you on whether or not you want to enjoy yourself.

It’s biggest drawback however is that it does indulge into more serious moments, hinting strongly at the evil conspiracies which are fleshed out in the TV version, but otherwise don’t make that much sense or impact in a two episode OVA.

Lesbian Analysis
Because slight (but significant) differences between the OVA and TV versions, I decided I needed to do separate entries for each. The biggest thing is that what back story information is revealed for the characters in the TV series, I am NOT including in the assessment for the OVA, so interpretations of character motivations could be different.

Maze - Presumably displaced 20th Century Earth girl who possesses magical fighting power, as well as being cursed by turning into a guy from sundown to sunrise.

# She’s the Tenchi in the series, where many, many men and women seem to fall for this pretty but timid person.

# Because she’s doesn’t have an active romance (in her female form) in the OVA, it’s hard to conclusively state what her orientation truly is. The mere fact of everyone falling for her doesn’t in turn mean she’s reciprocal.

# However, the closest scene which would qualify as showing a positive romantic/sexual reaction from Maze would be when Solude’s attempt to seduce her. True, Maze asks her to stop, but it’s really a weak request, and her expression is of someone who’s enjoying herself a little too much. I’m personally disappointed that they were interrupted.

Mill - Teenage Princess on the run

# No one questions the fact that Mill is completely obsessed (almost psychotically so) with her “Big Sister-Brother”.

# As Solude learned, you do NOT try to seduce Maze when Mill’s around (or at all for that matter.) She’s quite a strong little thing when she’s mad.

# Since she’s also got thing for the Male Maze, this fact alone qualifies her as bisexual. Otherwise, she’s not interested in anyone else, period.

# The ending credits do depict her trying to undress Female Maze. Rather successfully, I would add.

Solude - Woman fighter who is part of the wandering band

# The unquestionably lesbian of the series and clearly has a thing for Maze, and doesn’t hide it.

# Dresses in the skimpiest leather outfit. Not that this says anything about her orientation. She has a hot body and she knows it.

# Also a fun troublemaker at heart, taking every opportunity to tease Rapier and Maze for both sexual and non-sexual issues.

Rapier - Another woman fighter who is part of the wandering band

# Without the back story of the TV series, all one can reasonably assume in this universe is that she’s just a kick-ass fighter who dresses in a pants outfit instead of a dress.

# She’s clearly the big prude of the series (which makes her the biggest oddball given the sex-obsessed group that she’s hanging around with.) Even to the point where she has to have sexual references explained to her, (by Solude, no less.)

# In a moment of confrontation, Solude surmises that Rapier probably has a thing for Maze, at which Rapier only turns red but is saved from responding by a convenient temper-tantrum by Mill.

# In the ending credits, Solude is actually pictured trying to kiss Rapier, who leans away but has a swooning expression, which to me says “mixed messages”.

Randy - (Female) Fairy on the run

# She’s only about half a foot tall, so it’s very convenient for her to hide in Maze’s cleavage when she needs to do so. (The thing to note is that Maze’s cleavage isn’t that much so there’s plenty of room even in the physics of anime.)

# Otherwise, she seems pretty heterosexual, at least in her views about fairy procreation.

Mix - Good-hearted Princess of evil tyrant king

# This one’s a little tricky given that she was seduced/jumped by Male Maze in a weak moment.

# Of course, she was naturally shocked to find Female Maze in bed with her the next morning. But not repulsed or freaked, just shocked.

# In a closing moment, she claims (the currently female) Maze should marry her because last night “Maze and I…” — much to Maze’s embarrassment and everyone else’s shock.
pkristen

Return to From Japan