"Hyper Doll" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Hyper Doll" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 am

2 Episode OVA. Originally reviewed March 28, 2001

Summary
Mew and Mica come to Earth and protect the planet as the Hyperdolls in an anime that’s obviously a subtle parody of big monster/superhero genre.

Review
I didn’t have high expectations when I picked it up. I think the relatively cheap price for a DVD made me willing to take a chance on a title that looked suspiciously male-fantasy oriented on the cover. It’s pretty standard in terms of animation, story and character portrayal. I was admittedly more interested in the portrayals of Mew and Mica with their “we’re superior to you humans” snobbery, so the rest of the anime was really just fast forward material for me even though it’s supposed to hint at some conspiracy in the development. Some amusing moments in the Mew and Mica interactions, as well as the slightly offbeat characterizations of Akai and Shoko which made almost recommend it, but not quite.

Lesbian Analysis
The series knows the Hyperdolls Mew and Mica are why you’re watching or reading the manga. And I don’t disagree with that. The most interesting interactions they have are with each other, and they’re always together. Some could say this is a bonding due to their “Superior Than Humans” snobbery, but they have such intensity in their relationship, especially when they build up to their fights with each other, it’s clear the rest of the world doesn’t matter in an obtuse romantic sort of way.

Because they’re never apart, I don’t think it makes sense to comment on them separately. So here are the main comments:

# They pay a lot of attention to diets and looks in a satire of female cosmetic vanity, and criticize each other constantly about it. So one could argue that it just proves they’re just friends. I on the other hand can also make the argument that they act like an old married couple that bicker a lot.

# They have a weird intense emotional and physical confrontational relationship that borders on S&M — you have to watch it to understand. They prefer spending their time settling their differences by arm-wrestling alone in their (shared) apartment than spend any time apart.

# They’re really just not impressed with other people in general. There’s always this “wall” they seem to have when interacting with others which they lower or raise at will. (And when they have interaction/tease someone, they usually do it as a team.)

# Yes, there’s the boob-grabbing and a teasing undressing/dressing scene that’s hinted at rather than shown (which makes me respect the creators a little more.)

# Mew does come on to the geeky main male character Akai, but clearly with the intention of using him for battle purposes. An annoyed Mica even comments on it as if she sees it coming a mile away…an argument for jealousy perhaps?

Their (extremely short) final scene at the festival is the most conclusive evidence for me that they are a couple (or well on their way to being one.) When Mew moves over and gives Mica a spontaneous peck on the cheek, and the latter’s clearly surprised and potentially pleased reaction, makes me appreciate this title after all though I definitely would NOT list it as a must-watch classic.
pkristen

Return to From Japan