"Godannar" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Godannar" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:39 am

26 Ep TV Series. Reviewed February 12, 2010

Summary
In the near future, Earth is being bombarded by an alien invasion of various Mimetic beasts, and the only effective defense are giant, humanoid robots. The story of the anime, however, is really about Go and Anna, the husband and wife giant robot team from Japan. They one pair of five total international teams where each team has an individual robots that can then be combined into a super robot when the need arises.

Huge cast of characters, bouncing breasts and convenient camera angles galore!

Review
Don’t be baffled that you’ve may not have heard of this anime. If you’re a feminist, it’s perfectly logical that it would be wayyy off your radar. I only checked it out because I happen to be partial to dubs by ADV and it looked like it could be fun.

It is NOT meant to be taken seriously though underneath it all, there is an “well meaning” lesson about relationships and love. However, most of the time, it seems to be focused on the fact that despite that this is a near futuristic world with advanced technology, it seems someone forgot that bras were invented. Or maybe there was a scientific study that they really weren’t needed. Even the female giant robots jiggle.

While I admit the dub shrieking and screaming did get to me quite a few times, there were some one-liners that had me laughing my ass off. (No, I didn’t check if they were translated versions of the Japanese dialogue and I didn’t care because all of the voice actresses from BGC Tokyo 2040 were in it.)

Lesbian Analysis
I’m shocked that there’s something noteworthy to write up about this series because I certainly wasn’t expecting any when I first started to rent the discs. Well, depending on how you define “noteworthy”.

The Genesister Team: As I mention above, there are international teams (pairs) of giant robot pilots. Each from different major countries and with their own relationship dynamics, mostly of a heterosexual nature. With the exception, of course, of this female pair (of giant robot pilots) from North America’s Silicone Base… I’m not kidding, that IS the name of their base.

So the butch one is named Shadow and the other is named Luna. They aren’t sisters but former school mates that have such a strong bond that they spend their professional and personal time together. There’s this whole undercurrent of attraction and desire, mixed with the melodramatic angst of “forbidden love”.

Now the part that both makes me really raise my eyebrows as well as roll my eyes is that their blossoming relationship is actually important to the plot, which is based on convenient science about genders. That is: don’t really think about it or the logic completely falls apart and then you wouldn’t have a story. Just like the rest of the anime, shut off your brain and go with it.

But I admit I liked the pairing, which is enough for me to forgive whatever story or animation lameness is around them just because it gives them more screen time. And yes, I bought the box set.
pkristen

Return to From Japan