"Card Capture Sakura" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Card Capture Sakura" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 am

TV Series/Movies

Special Notes on 6/17/01
“Cardcaptors”: For those of you who do not know the difference between the series, “Cardcaptors” is essentially the U.S. version of “CCS”, and given the same mangled treatment in the spirit of DiC’s “Sailor Moon”. I admit I haven’t seen any episodes (better things to do with my time right now) but I’ve understood that it pretty strips out anything remotely “controversial”, so meaning all shoujo/shounen ai elements among others. And the distribution company avoids the major controversies by not showing those episodes at all, starting the series with the introduction of boy Card Captor “Lee.”

Temporary Analysis of first 12 episodes written 5/21/01

Summary
Ten year old Sakura Kinomoto unwittingly releases the powerful Clow Cards unto the world. So it becomes her job to recapture them dealing with sidekicks, friends and rivals along the way.

Temporary Review
I admit I LOVE this series! There’s a certain charm and sweetness about it which appeals to me even though I’m quite the professed cynic. I think part of my appreciation for it is just how sophisticated it is in a subversive sort of way once you really analyze what you are watching. (There’s a lot more going on than just the lesbian elements I’ve commented on below!)

Lesbian Analysis
Tomoyo Daidoji – Sakura’s best friend, costumer and video archivist
To analyze every remotely questionable act of Tomoyo’s feelings towards Sakura would take up the entire website. I realized you just have to get to a point that you either see it or you don’t. Although I would think if you choose the latter, you’re in denial. So here are the high points:

# She gets the most dreamy and enthusiastic look on her face every time she gushes about how Sakura is cute, brave, etc., and doesn’t care who is watching.

# What may be just a bunny eraser to anyone else, is the most treasured possession for Tomoyo because it was the first thing Sakura ever gave her.

# She doesn’t video tape or photograph anyone else because she firmly believes nothing is more cute or interesting than Sakura. And Sakura looks pretty impressive on those wall size t.v. screens.

# She is unconditionally supportive of Sakura in anything she does or is challenged with. After all, she firmly believed Sakura would make a wonderful Card Captor before Sakura did herself.

# Along with the above point, she also supports Sakura in the latter girl’s crush on the male Yuki. Tomoyo seems to have no concept of jealousy — which is a good thing because if she did she would be a complete “Fatal Attraction” case given all of the other factors about her adoration/obsession with Sakura.

Sonomi Daidoji – Tomoyo’s Mom. Like Mother, Like Daughter — well, except for the whole “Card Captor” bit.

# Is openly and completely infatuated with Sakura’s late mother Nadeshiko, who also happens to be her cousin. (Remember the different cultures aspect! Plus Li and Mei Ling are also cousins who are betrothed.)

# Also openly and completely considers Sakura’s Dad as her long time rival over Nadeshiko. (Even though she has the maturity to give him a fair assessment when asked by Sakura. The man’s only crime was that he took Nadeshiko from her.)

# Her most prized possession? Nadeshiko’s wedding bouquet.

# Has hysterical romantic daydreams about Nadeshiko, which — if they weren’t such comedic moments — shows a woman of a serious, lifelong broken heart.

Sakura Kinomoto – The heroine of the series.
# I had to comment on Sakura only because she’s the object of such a strong female love from Tomoyo. So the question is, does Sakura reciprocate, or at least shows evidence of being open to such feelings for other girls?

# Sakura unquestionably has a crush on Yuki, male best friend of older brother. On the other hand, she thinks Tomoyo just a little bit weird when the other girl gets mooned eyed over her. So it seems the girl’s oriented for heterosexual.

# It is interesting to note the many times she is awestruck by the beautiful women she meets (Sonomi and Flower, for example.)

# I also firmly believes she does love Tomoyo in the way a best friend would. From what I’ve seen so far, however, it’s short of romantic. (Of course, that doesn’t stop me from buying the heart pin with Sakura and Tomoyo on it and putting it up in my cube at work!)

Yuuki Tachibana – The child of a famous painter whose likeness was hidden by the Silence card.
# A stubborn, aggressive child who is dressed in a tie and cap and turns out to be a girl, much to everyone’s surprise by the end of the episode.

# No romantic actions or signs towards anyone, but does get embarrassed when Tomoyo comments how cute her long hair is.

The Daidoji Bodyguards – Babes in Black
# They work for Sonomi and Tomoyo. How much more Suspiciously Inconclusive can you get?!
pkristen

Return to From Japan