"Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040" (Anime)

Manga, anime, music and other material created by people from the Land of the Rising Sun!
Formerly known as the website "This Lesbian's Guide To Anime & Manga".

Moderator: pkristen

"Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040" (Anime)

Postby pkristen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:07 am

26 Episode TV/OVA. Reviewed January 13, 2010

Summary
This is a new universe interpretation of the original BGC series, incorproate some key elements, but not all. All of the key players are here, but expect some key differences in personalities and stories.

Review
It’s ironic that I never formally reviewed this anime because it’s THE one that got me hooked back in 1999. And even though I’ve watched it several times for different reasons, I never got around to viewing the subbed version because, frankly, it’s noticably less lesbian and not as fleshed out for character portrayal as I like. (Yes, dialogue can make a key difference.)

That being said, for as much as I love it, I’m not blind to its flaws. The female characters are much more well-rounded and believable as complex individuals than in the OVAs, however, the presumably male fanboy mentality still shows signs in least wanted moments. For example, I love and respect Sylia at the beginning of the series but not so much at the end of the series.

The story also has flaws in that it favors action, gore and combat over character development and storytelling at times, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Lesbian Analysis
Sylia: Totally cool and maybe straight but definitely not narrow. Evil sense of humor makes her all the more delicious. :)

Nene: Totally straight and totally straight. No matter what fanboy fantasies may occur because of the series.

Priss: In depth analysis written here. (Done as an exercise to help flesh out my characterization of her for my fanfic series BGC Post 2040.)

Linna: In depth analysis written here. (Again, done to help with my fanfic writing.)

Oh, and here is the link to my mega fanfic series that will hopefully cease now that I have more concrete writing commitments. But that’s what I thought 5 years ago.
pkristen

Return to From Japan