“Eleanor Roosevelt: A Restless Spirit” (A&E, US Documentary)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

“Eleanor Roosevelt: A Restless Spirit” (A&E, US Documentary)

Postby pkristen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 am

Originally posted on my blog: Monday 26 December 2011

Summary:
Part of the A&E Biography series, this 50 minute show focuses on the public and private aspects of this iconic activist and humanitarian.

My Thoughts (with potential spoilers!):
Eleanor was one of those “common community knowledge” figures where I knew it was believed she was at least bisexual, but I really didn’t know anything about her. I’ve seen enough documentaries that openly admit she had lesbian friends however this particular documentary has a segment where two “experts” debate if she was truly physically involved with long-time associate Lorena Hickok.

The opinions of pro and con (i.e., inconclusive) were as obvious and stereotypical of the perspectives of the experts: female and progressive (“pro”) and male and cautious (“inconclusive”).

The biggest argument the male expert had against reading that Eleanor and Lorena were lovers was based on the turn-of-the century concept of Romantic Friendships between women. However, these two were in each others’ lives in well into the 1960′s, had lesbian companions and were very progressive. And regardless of the physical status, romantic love is, well, love.

I think it’s obvious which side I tend to agree with but you are certainly more than welcome to make up your own mind.

Meanwhile, I have two other Eleanor documentaries in my rental queue that may end up being delivered one of these days.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens