"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (US 2011 Movie)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (US 2011 Movie)

Postby pkristen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 am

Originally posted on my blog: Monday 26 December 2011

Summary:
A disgraced investigative reporter is given a chance to redeem himself by solving the mystery of a teenage girl who disappeared over forty years ago. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo aids him in his quest whose technical skills and savvyness make up for her lack of social pleasantries and pretenses.

My Thoughts (with potential spoilers!):
No, I did not read the book. The ONLY reason why I felt obligated to see the movie was because of the lesbian scenes shown in the trailer I saw when I caught “J. Edgar” in the theater.

Now that I’ve seen the movie, I can frankly state that I would have passed given everything else demanding my time and attention. The lesbian scenes ultimately felt like “bait and switch” advertising.

As for the movie in general, it’s a very well executed mystery thriller. Acting and cinematography are great.

However, I spent most of the film mildly or blatantly annoyed by the portrayals of women as weak/victims. The feminist in me was frowning by the end. I will not write more because that’s just going into unnecessary spoiler territory.

As long as you don’t have high expectations of lesbian content and the subject-matter is your thing, go for it.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens