"Glee" (Fox, US TV Series)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Glee" (Fox, US TV Series)

Postby pkristen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:59 am

Originally posted on my blog: Tuesday 20 December 2011

Summary:
As officially plugged: the story of a resurrected glee club in an Ohio high school from obscurity and mockery to its rise to greatness.

My Thoughts (with potential spoilers!):
I figured I needed to add this show officially to my list.

Obviously, very frank about the issues that face both gay and lesbian characters.

Though I will say that I wasn’t so openly confident of the lesbian portrayal since the Santana/Britanny idea was just a passing (though hysterical) joke at the end of season 1. My sixth sense (no, not related to paranormal) felt the scenario was more for humor than any real sense of character development/storyline progression. And one of the ‘Glee’ producers admitted as much at this past year’s Comic Con panel.

In fact, it amazes me to know that the gay male breakout character of Kurt wasn’t even part of the original student line up of the series. Like, how can you have such an obviously gay friendly premise and not have a gay character?

But back to “Santitanny”, once the creative time finally embraced the idea of the two of them as a couple and taking their time developing that relationship, my distrust finally settled. And now that Santana has been pulled kicking and screaming out of the closet, I feel fully confident that the show will maintain it’s balance and boundary pushing portrayals of LGBT characters.
pkristen

Re: "Glee" (Fox, US TV Series)

Postby pkristen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Yes, I watched "Glee, Actually" and was not pleased really that pleased from a lesbian perspective. Not furious, but just not pleased. I think I'm not feeling worse because I was kind of expecting it to happen, with Santana graduating and Brit staying behind.

As a lesbian, that part of my enthusiasm has just plummeted. I'll still watch the show because I'm still a show queen as heart, but the joy is definitely a little less.
pkristen

Re: "Glee" (Fox, US TV Series)

Postby pkristen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:39 pm

After watching the "I Do" episode, my lesbian enthusiasm is back to fully charged. I definitely support Quinntana (and admit I find the combo more interesting than the original couple.)
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens