"Frida" (2002, US)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Frida" (2002, US)

Postby pkristen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:13 am

Summary: Focuses on the life of artist Frida Kahlo, showing significant events that influenced her development as an artist and the complex relationship she had with the love of her life, fellow artist, Diego Rivera.

Review: A combo of Salma Hayak and Julie Taymor is a "must see" for me. I admit I'm not a fan of Frida the artist outside of the movie though I know of her and admire the works of her that I happen to have seen by circumstances. But the movie captures what is interesting to me: showing the complexities and development of complex people. And I like being shown the inspirations and or interpretations of her work.

I love good acting, solid story-lines with moments of artistic merit and this movie delivers for me.

It is very frank about Frida's bisexuality but it's not the focus of the film if that would be the reason why you would want to check it out.

Though the other side would be that this is a film of how NOT to have a heterosexual relationship, or perhaps the only type Frida and Diego could have given the people they were.

If you want a celebration of a strong, charismatic and complex woman, this is worth it. (And I say that of the women behind the movie as well.)
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens