"The Kids Are All Right" (2010, US Movie)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"The Kids Are All Right" (2010, US Movie)

Postby pkristen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 am

Summary: Nic and Jules are a lesbian couple raising kids that were fathered by the same, unknown sperm donor. The kids are now teenagers and wanting to know who that person was and track him down. The father is introduced to the family and causes in unexpected ways.

Review: I saw this movie in the theaters, and because I'm a commentary/extras junky, I bought the movie once it was released on blu-ray. I think I should just accept the fact that after all this time, I haven't had any desire to watch the movie again (extras or not.)

It's a well-acted, reasonable story. But positive lesbian representation? Uh, not really, my standards are higher than that.

For a film where it's assumed that its target audience is primarily lesbian (or at least lesbian-friendly), there's a heck of a lot of male-centric sexuality in the movie. Even when it's between Nic and Jules in their private time. This content and attitude completely undercuts any positive aura I had as an authentically lesbian viewer.

I don't deny that real and fictional dyke drama can have unexpected twists, but this isn't one of those types of stories that the ending made the journey worthwhile.

So will the blu-ray be a token part of my collection? I'm such a completist that I don't see myself giving/selling it off. But again, with everything else on my plate that's more emotionally satisfying, I don't see myself making time for this for quite a while.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens