"True Blood" (HBO, TV series)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"True Blood" (HBO, TV series)

Postby pkristen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Summary:
The modern tales of Sookie Stackhouse and her friends and family in Louisiana. Oh and there are vampires, werewolves, etc. Too.

Review:
I don't remember exactly what caused me to check out this show. But even after watching the first episode, I was struck by its intelligence, humor, and - um - frankness about its mature-audiences themes.

So yes I am addicted, with a range of characters that I follow with soap-opera-like intensity. I have heard it described that it has enough romance to appeal to women and enough sex and violence to appeal to men. Those words are so definitely true.

And its treatment of gay/bisexual themes is worth watching alone. However, like "Modern Family" I feel it could do a lot better in the lesbian department. The women/women moments are fleeting or two-dimensional at best in my mind. Yes, I even consider Tara's oh-so-brief romance a fleeting appearance that has no real ramifications on her character growth or story-lines in the future. And given that Nan and the Queen are gone, well, hopefully season 5 gets a little more solid in the delivery department for a dyke fan.

Since I'm caught up thru season 4, I have to admit this is a frustrating show for me to watch logistically speaking since I don't have cable and I refuse to watch it through unofficial means online. So I'm stuck being a season behind (with whatever season was the most recently released on blu-ray.) But honestly, the most inconvenience that causes me is that I can never attend the Comic-con panel because I hate spoilers.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens