"Word Is Out" (1977, US Documentary)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Word Is Out" (1977, US Documentary)

Postby pkristen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 am

Summary: Considered ground-breaking and of course controversial, this remastered for DVD release collection of interviews of various individuals in the Bay Area telling viewers what it was like to be lesbian and gay circa 1977. A bonus on the DVD is a special "where are they now?" video that revisits the people who are still alive (and willing to speak) to give comments about what happened when the film was released and how their lives have changed since then.

Review: So Nico and I watched this with a certain amount of fascination at its representation of experiences from a historical perspective and the key differences in important subjects now versus later. It was sad that some of the issues sound of fear of exposure, wanting to assimilate within the community, and referenced acts of discrimination against the LGBT orientation that could still be seen today. And yeah, there were a fair share of positive comments and moments that kept the documentary fairly well-balanced emotionally.

I did find it interesting that it was clearly before the AIDS epidemic, especially when you see that several of the men in the original movie not only were missing from the "where are they now?" video but had died around the same time in the early '90's.

A worthwhile viewing if you get the chance. (A valuable addition to my own personal collection.)
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens