"Black Swan" (US Film, 2010)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Black Swan" (US Film, 2010)

Postby pkristen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:55 am

Summary: Nina, a life-long, hard-working ballerina is given an opportunity to play the lead role in "Swan Lake". The prim and proper good girl goes through a metamorphosis into both a diva and madness.

Review: I bought the movie earlier in the year and usually I like to watch these things with my friends. The only thing I knew about it was that there was a lesbian sex scene and it starred Natalie Portman, whose work that I like when I've seen it. Since I don't have a television, I never saw the commercials or any trailers. So I didn't know until I bought the movie that it would be a dark and gross. And those are not the types of movies my friends are willing to sit through.

I finally made time for the movie a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a very well executed film, on all levels.

Given that the entire premise was a woman going through an arc of self-destruction, I admit my alarms about possible homophobic moments were highly sensitive and thankfully weren't triggered. I was able to sit back and watch her character development and the choices she made as a genuine film-watcher's experience rather than some shlock show.

Portman's portrayal was fantastic (as well as co-star's Mila Kunis). Her portrayal of Nina confirmed my personal opinion that self-confidence in a woman is awfully sexy.

But yes, it's not for the weak of heart. And I'm glad I didn't sit through it with my friends and had to deal with their very possible distracting reactions to the movie.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens