"Husbands" (Web TV Series/Comics)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Husbands" (Web TV Series/Comics)

Postby pkristen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:10 am

Summary:
Cheeks (a flamboyantly out actor) and Brady (a recently out baseball player) wake up after a drunken night in a hotel room in Vegas and realized that they had celebrated the legality of gay marriage by getting married themselves. However, instead of getting an equally quickie divorce, they decide to try to stay married in the spirit of being public role models for such a hard-earned legal right.

Review:
I honestly admit that I only checked out the series now because there was a panel for it at Bent Con '12 and I hate going to panels without at least knowing of what I'm sitting through.

So Nico and I did a crash viewing of season 1 so I could come to the event somewhat knowledgeable. And of course they spent a lot of time talking about the season 2. (I watched those episodes last night.)

It definitely lives up to its premise about being a newlywed comedy without twists that only a gay theme can provide. However, I couldn't really getting into because the pacing was so intense, probably because of the lack of a timing balance of studio audience can provide. But it was cute and worthwhile as a project deserving the support that it has.

Once interesting thing, a sweetly enthusiastic fan who was hearing impaired thanked the panelists for making their webisodes Closed Caption so he could read them, which apparently is lacking for many webisode series. So, you web producers out there, if you want to make sure you get the full audience possible, this is something you should keep in mind!

And yes, there is a "Husbands" six issue digital comic series available at Dark Horse Comics, with a planned hardback published collection that is currently available for preorder on Amazon (and if the URL doesn't work, just search "Husbands Espenson"). They have an intro written by Neil Gaiman and many extras in the book.

When I get around to reading the comic series, I'll post my thoughts then.

Oh, and the panelists did indicate more Husbands episodes may be coming but no formal announcements at this time.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens