"Queer As Folk" (UK TV Series)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Queer As Folk" (UK TV Series)

Postby pkristen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Summary:
The stories of Vince and Stuart, two best friend gay men as they search for a good time in Manchester's Canal Street and the latter encounters 15 year old Nathan, which changes everything.

Review:
For some reason, I just never got around to watching this series until the last month, even though I had watched the first few seasons of the US version of the series when that one launched several years ago.

But since it was available for instant viewing on Netflix and I was just in that mood to watching anything not targeted for straight boys, it was an easy commitment with only two series with limited episodes to watch.

Now that I've had a week to absorbed what I had watched, I'm not really sure that I'm a fan of the series. And I think it's that lesbian feminist activist in me in that I do consider it a valid depiction of gay men and their lifestyle, but it's not a lifestyle that I want personal exposure to, nor would I expose to people who were already marginal to acceptance and respect of gay men. The first series felt like a true attempt to show the men in this world, but the second series definitely went into fantasies of the oppressed that emotionally turned me (not that I was that emotionally invested in it to begin with.)

It's definitely meant for gay men, and everyone else can determine if they like it or not.

I respect it, but I don't see myself ever watching it again. Though ironically, it did make me want to rewatch the US version -- which I remember liking but never watching to completion.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens