"Taboo" (National Geographic, US TV Series)

Movies, television shows, and direct to your players material.

Moderator: pkristen

"Taboo" (National Geographic, US TV Series)

Postby pkristen » Sun May 05, 2013 7:34 am

Summary: This is the perfect series for the documentary/psychology/sociology/anthropology geek that examines different aspects of a cultural belief or tradition. I've watched it over the years but I have limited opportunities to discuss what I've watched since some of the episodes do go beyond the subject comfort level of certain people I know.

Review: In a case of karmic timing, I'm sitting in a hotel room for Gaylaxicon and the episode shown on hotel cable is about different marital customs, real or purposefully made. So I have to admit that among the topics of nudist weddings and abducting brides, there was a segment featured on dog weddings by a very male couple.

I have to admit I watched the beginning of the segment with a little bit of alarm with thoughts "Oh, I hope people don't think all gay people are that nuts about their dogs!" But when it was revealed that the men were doing this as a subversive statement about how they weren't allowed to get married as two men, I let out a sigh of relief and was able to actually enjoy the segment.

Now I wish I can rewind it so I can watch it from the beginning as being someone with the knowledge of the joke.
pkristen

Re: "Taboo" (National Geographic, US TV Series)

Postby pkristen » Sun May 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Some additional thoughts about the show: I have watched episodes where they dealt with LGBT-related subjects with a lot more seriousness. Interestingly, just being gay or lesbian hasn't been one of the subjects I've seen (and I admit I haven't been able to watch the entire series.)

"Taboo" tends to go for the extra edge of subjects like sex-change operations or the idea of men living as substitute women (and vice versa), which are episodes I have seen and found interesting.
pkristen

Return to Big & Little Screens