Margaret Cho: Mother (Sep. 6, Las Vegas)

Plays, musicals and other live shows, plus Recordings, Concerts & Music Videos

Moderator: pkristen

Margaret Cho: Mother (Sep. 6, Las Vegas)

Postby pkristen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 am

Being a Cho fan-grrl, the opportunity to see her perform in Vegas as a kick-off to gay pride weekend was not one to be missed.

I've seen her perform live about three or four times and the rest on DVD's. And this time was definitely the weirdest performance of hers that I've witnessed either live or virtually.

When she walked on stage, I had to admit that I was suspicious of her apparent mental haze and very unkempt appearance (her hair wasn't even combed.) But then, using drugs IS a third of her act.

It was a shaky start but she quickly got into her groove and performed to an enthusiastic crowd.

Well, except for the older lesbian couple sitting next to me, who pretty much didn't laugh throughout the entire performance. The one sitting next to me kept giving me glances of astonishment at my bursts of laughter.

Actually, my biggest gripe of the night was a lot of enthusiastic audience shout-outs in her act, which she had to stop to hear what people were shouting. I am NOT a fan of audience participation (they're not the ones I paid money to see) but some of the moments were (begrudgingly) highlights of the show.

Overall, her material was 90 percent new and worth seeing if you have the chance. And the other 10 percent is worth watching again.

-----

An additional note, Selena Luna was her opening act.

At first I was a little nervous in that I had seen her open for Margaret a few years back and could tell she was rough. But she has definitely polished up her presentation and material since then. I definitely enjoyed her performance and would like to see her again.
pkristen

Return to Performance