Tom of Finland Foundation

Random bits that don't seem to fit anywhere else

Moderator: pkristen

Tom of Finland Foundation

Postby pkristen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 am

Erotic-centric content warning! You've been warned!

Something else I discovered at Bent Con '12:

If you don't know Tom of Finland, he was an artist that revolutionized erotic art for gay men, portraying them in overly masculine styles to counter-act homophobic stereotypes starting in 1957. A lot of his work was created in his home in Echo Park (a suburb of Los Angeles).

I actually like Tom's work in terms of general style and presentation. (The gargantuan male organs are a minimal detail to me since I really don't care to put too much stock on accuracy of details on those things.)

But Tom passed in 1991 and in his legacy was established the Foundation. One of the things that the foundation is establish an Erotic Art Fair in West Hollywood (having just done its 17th annual one this past September.)

Another is preserving artwork of other erotic artists, as well as creating spaces for live model drawing sessions.

The one thing that I plan to do is a tour of Tom's house and works, which my friends and I won't be able to attend for a couple of months yet. But I will definitely post some thoughts when we get to it.

If you want more information about the foundation and the stuff I mentioned above, check out their website: http://www.TomOfFinlandFoundation.org (Adults only)
pkristen

Return to Miscellaneous